Subscribe Us

header ads

The old James is back - with his upcoming album Toofan


The Old James Is Back
James’s upcoming album Toofan is most likely to become a twister of sound, lyrics and emotions. In an interview with New Age, he reveals the desire to work in Bangladesh more vigorously,



Affectionately called Guru and popularly known as the Nagar Baul – city bard, James on the interview set made it clear that he wants to work in our music industry more enthusiastically. ‘I’ve been working outside the country for quite a bit now and I feel that time has come to offer my efforts just to Bangladesh. I want to do regular gigs, be on the television with music videos and interact more with my fans here’.
‘If there is spare time after all these, then maybe I will work outside our industry’, explained the smiling Guru.
Sitting on the set of a music video shoot with songs from his upcoming album for the Eid program Golden Moment to be aired on Ekushey Television (ETV), produced by Alamgir Hossain, James gave an interesting insight to his album. Below is the excerpt of the interview where he discusses his life in Mumbai and what Toofan will be all about.
New Age (NA): What are the sound production quality and studio equipments like in Mumbai compared to Dhaka?
James: Well, I guess one of the biggest differences is with the recording console. They use very high definition console panel which costs almost 2.5 crores in Bangladesh currency. Not only is it pricey but there are other issues like professional usage and feasibility to use such equipment as a lot of software to run such equipments is not available here.
NA: You are this charming Guru in Bangladesh and a charismatic James in India. How is it different or similar?
James: (Ha Ha) Well, the love and affection of a certain place is unlike other regions and therefore the fans’ expression varies from place to place. The best similarity is they all love my music and as a musician, that is my biggest achievement.
NA: Tell us something about your upcoming album Toofan and what fans can expect from it.
James: Almost all the songs would carry the flavours of my past work. I tried to revive my old sound as much possible. With contemporary beats and arrangements, the compositions comprise of blues, psychedelic and folk rock and they will definitely remind my fans of the old James.
NA: From your recent success in India, is there any influence of Hindi beats in your latest album?
James: The songs in Toofan have no resemblance or influence of Indian beats. All of them are Bangla mellow rock songs with blues and psychedelic influences. They are very much like my songs from Nagarbaul, Dukhini Dukhho Korona albums.
NA: Why did you name your album Toofan and tell us something about Eid and music.
James: I never thought about the name of the album. I randomly picked up the name as I wanted to make the song Toofan as title track. It has this feel of something huge…something which comes with a bang!
I will definitely be celebrating my Eid in Bangladesh. To me, Eid means ullash – cheerfulness. I always recall my childhood Eid days listening to Do Do Do Da Da Da by The Police and some other songs of Cliff Richard. Eid means happiness at any point of time although now it comes with lots of responsibilities. It is, as well, a relief from work and our conventional lifestyle. (adds James with a grin)
NA: Why don’t you write your own lyrics?
James: I do write lyrics but occasionally, as I don’t have much time. Plus, I love this whole idea of other fans writing my lyrics because that way I get to share my ideas with a lot of people.
NA: How are the tunes and music you worked with in India different from here?
James: The tunes there are specifically made for films and they have a particular pattern. Whereas, I feel that there is more freedom to work with sounds over here. The creative Bangla songs have already reached millions of Bangla language speaking people around the globe and so far, it is very successful.
NA: Any message for your fans?
James: (With a broad smile James says it out loud) – Bajao…aro jorse bajao.

Post a Comment

0 Comments